Friday, January 29, 2010

the ballet's been canceled.

due to weather.
those Russian ballerina's (what's a male ballet dancer called?) didn't make it to Prescott due to weather.
Weather.
hrmphf.

I think it's a blessing, though.  I was worried tonight was going to be a long one and instead, I'm meeting my older gentleman friend for dinner in a bit, and then, done for the night.  I need to get some good rest.  I worked hard today and was just go go go go go go. It was so one of those days.  I'm ready for a good dinner and then a quiet night to prep for a very busy tomorrow.

I read this quote today in one of my daily readers, One Day at a Time, and it took the breath out of me.
"For though we are made especially for the sake of one another, still each of us has his own tasks.  Otherwise another's faults would harm me, which God has not willed, in order that my happiness may not depend on another."  --Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 
Whoa.
The reading talked about detachment and not doing for others what they can do for themselves.  And, I thought this quote so succinct and direct.

We are made to be in relationship with one another.  We buoy each other up, support each other, are blessings to those we encounter.  Yet, we cannot do for another what they can do for themselves.  It robs the other of their dignity.  It prevents the other from showing up wholly, humanly, fully.  We have our own tasks.  We must focus on our own tasks even if we're in relationship with others.  Otherwise, the bad of another person (there is good and bad in all of us, I believe) would harm us.  God does not wish our happiness, and on the flip side, our sadness, be dependent on another person.

I just feel so empowered by this simple statement.

Off to have a most delicious dinner.

No comments: