Sunday, September 05, 2010

Reading Rainbow.

image credit weheartit

I loved Reading Rainbow as a kid.  I think I've mentioned it here before years ago but I would sit in front of my mirror in my bedroom and do 'book reports' like the kids on the show.  I would excitedly and animatedly tell of the plot and illustrations of the books I just finished.  I was probably nine or ten.

Since college, the first go-around in 1997, I have kept a 'book journal' of each book I've read.  I am compulsive about it, and shoot for yearly goals for number of books read.  I try to read 12 each year and always surprise myself by bypassing that goal.  

In a lot of ways, I think my book journal is just me still sitting in front of the mirror doing my own personal book report on my favorite PBS show.  

With that background, I must inform you to get and read The Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larsson.  These books are phenomenally written by Stieg Larsson, painting a vibrant and detailed Swedish world of crime, violence and triumph.  I have found,without giving too much away, despite the initial violence of the first book, the series is in its whole a tribute to the power of Women.  

If you're stuck and not sure what to read, get this series.  I can promise by page 50 of the first book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, you will be hooked.  The initial description of Lisbeth Salander hooked me and I couldn't put it down.  I immediately devoured books two and three of the series.  

Happy Reading!!

(And, on that note:  What are you reading that you can't put down??  I was sidetracked by Mr. Larsson's vivid world so I'm just now finishing Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire and thanks to my mom, have received Lit by Mary Karr which I'm insanely excited to begin.  I'm still chewing on The Spirituality of Imperfection every few days and also trying to get at least an hour of NCLEX studying in each day.  Ohmygosh, I love to read.)

No comments: