Saturday, July 24, 2010

daddy words.

I am gifted by the best and kindest father figure.  For all intents and purposes, when I speak of Terry, I call him 'my dad.'  He is just that, in so many ways, guiding me with his life experience, saying the right thing at the right time and in the greatest parental influence, always, and I do mean always, being there.  


Terry is consistent, fun, kind, and a great example of living with compassion, enthusiasm and acceptance. 


I am blessed to call him 'Dad.'  At least behind his back, anyway. I don't dare call him 'Dad' to his face. :)  (It's a decision we came together.)  


I sent out an email update of my time in Switzerland early this week, and this was his reply: 
WELL LITTLE GIRL,IT SOUNDS TO ME AS IF YOU HAVE FOUND THE REWARDS OF HAVING THE NERVE TO PUT ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER IN A STRAIGHT LINE INSTEAD OF ALWAYS  IN A CIRCLE, TO YOUR LIKING. YOU MIGHT BE STARTING TO UNDERSTAND WHY MARCO POLO, ERNEST HEMINGWAY AND YOUR OWN TERRY THE TRAMP DECIDED TO TRAVEL IN A STRAIGHT LINE A LITTLE MORE THAN MOST PEOPLE DO. THE LATTER OF THE THREE YOU WILL RAPIDLY SURPASS IF YOU KEEP GOING AT THE RATE YOU ARE AS FAR AS MILES GO, BUT  I STILL HAVE THE LEAD WHEN IT COMES TO DIVERSITY OF MODES AND DESTINATIONS.  IT IS NOT JUST WHERE YOU GET TO GO BUT THE PEOPLE YOU GET TO KNOW.    LIKE ALWAYS. T
In recovery, I've learned that God shows up in other people.  It is through the wisdom of others, God can show up and speak to me.  When someone as special and influential as my Terry-dad is as insightful as he is, it is an example of how God is ridiculously powerful in the way God shows up in my life.

I glisten with gratitude.

 

No comments: