Saturday, June 07, 2008

It's Summer Time...yet more books...

Twilight
by 
Stephenie Meyer

I was recommended this book by one of my families.  The mom asked if I liked romance novels.

"Um....not really..." I said.

Thinking she was referring to Danielle Steele or Nora Roberts, something from the 'Most Popular' section of Costco's discount book rack.  

Then, she showed me the cover of the book.  

Definitely intrigued.  

She said this much about it, "It's a teen love story about vampires."

Okay.  I'm in.  

I have just bought into the biggest teen sensation...I at first felt agasp!! How did I not know about this book? And they're even making a movie of it?? (Google is sooooooo helpful!)

I did acknowledge that in most parts popular culture I am not as up to speed as I once was.  Eliminate cable television from one's life, and BAM!  Ignorance does become bliss...

So...
back to the book. 

Bought it on Tuesday night. Finished it begrudgingly Friday night. (Finishing it was definitely more 'okay' knowing it was a series and I could quickly run to Barnes & Noble or amazon.com to get the next in the four-book series.)

A few things:
1)  It's a teen love story.  I was waiting for the boinking, the bumping, the humping...it was so suspenseful and anticipatory!!  Where was the get-it-on action??  It wasn't there. I had to remind myself this PG-rated story is going to give me just kisses...sweet, lovely kisses.  I also was ovulating during the reading of the great story, so my desire for fuzzy bumping was probably due to my own hormonal surge...(just a thought...)

2) It's a pretty mild vampire story.  Not once was there mention of fangs...

3) A FAST FAST FAST EASY READ.  I was hooked by the first page and totally into it.  I couldn't put it down...And when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking of it...It was a movie playing in my head and I'd read well into the one a.m. hour each night.  

4) At the end, I couldn't tolerate the "I can't live without you, Edward." talk.  It was nauseating.  My own codependence was barfing at the seventeen year old girl falling so hard for her vampire boyfriend.  Blech.  

5) That last blurp is pretty harsh....it is a teen love story...I fell PRETTY HARD for my first love.  MW are you out there??!?  Imagine if he were a vampire!

Those are my thoughts about this great read.  I am definitely going to finish the others in the series.  They're far too intriguing to not buy into...And, well, if I can attempt to be up to speed with popular culture, I'll take it!  

Other summer reads I'm excited about:

Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Blubber by Judy Blume (a reread)
The Cider House Rules by John Irving (again, a reread)

Any other ideas about great summer reads?? Let me know...I'd be happy for the suggestions!

Lovely love, 
L


No comments: