Saturday, May 09, 2009

what it means to love a job.

I've been overwhelmingly appreciative of my job lately. In love with it, really. It's been amazing---either it's the spring weather or how great the kiddos I've been tending are, maybe a mixture of both. I don't know what's different, but I'm blown away by how fortunate I am lately. I am finishing up my first year of nursing school on Monday. I am feeling some trepidation about how to fill my week now that 25 hours of my time will be free without my school responsibility. Also, with one of my families leaving in just three short weeks, the panic could very easily start creeping.

But, I'm not panicky. I feel a tad curious how all this will work itself out, and again, completely in awe I'm able to have this job. It is unbelievable. Today, I went on a picnic with Kira Sky. We laid on a blanket and I read stories to her; she ate lunch, we watched the ducks and enjoyed the sun. She was sweet, cuddly and loving. It was an incredibly special day! Then, not an hour and a half later, I was covering the Love girls with sunscreen, putting their bathing suits on, and tromping out to their beautiful yard to slip-n-slide. (A note: this is the second time this week I've missed out on some slip-n-slide action because I didn't have my suit! I'm gonna start packing it in the car for these just in case moments!) I couldn't get enough of the sun! I neeeeeeed it to seep into my bones! The beautiful weather, on top of these little girls I get to spend my time with---my heart is so full of joy it is almost painful.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is I am so blessed! I get paid to do something I love. I get to have so much fun at work on a daily basis. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought my life could be so directed and so fortunate. It is absolutely a wonder. I don't know how my financial situation will work out this summer, but to have this much appreciation and joy for my job just completely instills my faith for that great big Higher Power to show me the next path in store--the next family to wow me, the next opportunity to direct me until school starts again in August. I am just so blessed!

"When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take a step into the darkness of the unknown we must believe that one of two things will happen: there will be something solid to stand on or we will be taught how to fly."
--Patrick Overton

No comments: